Wike Silent As Nigerian Army Lay A Deadly Siege In Obigbo

Governor Nyesom Wike has maintained a dangerous snub as Nigerian soldiers continued a deadly campaign against a densely-populated community in Rivers.

Since last week, Nigerian soldiers have been laying a deadly siege to Oyigbo, a border community of Rivers and Abia just 30 kilometres east of Port Harcourt. The community with its over 300,000 people has seen dozens killed by soldiers over the past week, witnesses told Peoples Gazette on Sunday.

Mr. Wike, who last week directed security forces to be ruthless in their chase of perceived IPOB elements, has yet to comment on the unfolding devastation in his state. Telephone numbers for the governor’s media aides, including information commissioner Paulinus Nsirim, repeatedly rang through on Sunday. They also did not return messages seeking comments.

The unfolding crisis in Oyigbo has been aggravated by Mr. Wike’s week-long imposition of a curfew on the community, with widespread starvation looming as residents run out of food and water supply.

The military operation appeared targeted at young men of the community, and witnesses said death toll so far indicated most of those killed were between 19 and 35.

The Gazette could not immediate confirm casualty figures as soldiers have initiated a blockade that made it difficult for journalists and activists to conduct independent assessment of the situation.

“Soldiers and militia are still killing people in Oyigbo,” a resident who fled the community on Saturday afternoon told Peoples Gazette. Earlier, another witness, Kelechi Francis told Peoples Gazette how soldiers were invading homes to kill mostly young men, some of whom their remains were left to decompose indoors.

Civic groups have called on the Nigerian Army to allow people willing to leave Oyigbo out of the community. They also demanded immediately opening of the community to journalists and independent rights organisations.

The Nigerian Army said five soldiers were allegedly killed recently by members of the Indigenous People of Biafra, a separatist movement active in Nigeria’s Igbo-dominated southeast and the oil-rich Delta region. It was unclear whether or not IPOB has claimed responsibility for the attack on soldiers, which the military did not publicly announce.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.