Governor Jide Sanwoolu has named the Onikan Stadium after former Lagos State governor, Brigadier Mobolaji Johnson.
The stadium is one of the oldest stadiums in Nigeria and this is the 4th name that it will bear. The original stadium was built in 1930 and six years later named after King George V. Between 1963 and 1973, it became known as the Lagos City Stadium and it was later known as the Onikan Stadium before Governor Sanwoolu renamed it.
Governor Sanwoolu made the announcement during a ceremony at the stadium in honour of Brigadier Johnson who passed away recently. Brigadier Johnson was the first governor of Lagos and he served as administrator of the Federal Capital (Lagos) from 1966-1967 and as governor of Lagos from 1967-1975.
The stadium was recently reconstructed by the administration of Governor Akinwunmi Ambode.