Today is the International Day for the Prevention of Child Abuse. Child abuse is the maltreatment of a child physically, sexually or psychologically (emotionally). We are focusing on sexual abuse of a child.
What is child sexual abuse?
Child Sexual abuse is:
* any sexual act between an adult and a minor, or between two minors, when one exerts power over the other for sexual gratification or financial gain.
* forcing, coercing or persuading a child to engage in any type of sexual act
* non-contact acts such as exhibitionism, exposure to pornography, voyeurism, and communicating in a sexual manner by phone or internet
* exploitative use of a child in prostitution or other unlawful sexual practices
Child sexual abuse is in two categories:
* Non-touching abuses: Exhibitionism, exposure to pornography, taking photographs of children in a sexualized manner, voyeurism, communicating in a sexual way, such as through telephone or the internet, and letting down the walls of privacy so that the child watches or hears sexual acts.
* Touching abuses: Kissing, handling, MouthAction, vaginal or anal intercourse, or attempted intercourse.
IF YOU WERE SEXUALLY ABUSED AS A CHILD, PLS SHARE YOUR EXPERIENCE SO THAT OTHER YOUNG PEOPLE, PARENTS, TEACHERS, CAREGIVERS, ETC CAN BENEFIT FROM THE INFORMATION AND USE IT TO PREVENT ANY KIND OF ABUSE.
You can also share with us at TOTALCHILD CHILDREN AND TEENS NETWORK. We are a non-governmental organisation that works with children and young people to help them fulfill God’s plan and purpose for their lives. We work through service provision, informational sharing, capacity development, mentoring and participatory community development.
PLS NOTE: THE MORE PEOPLE ARE INFORMED ABOUT CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE, THE FEWER VICTIM THERE WILL BE. So share your stories inorder to create more awareness. Silence is not golden.